Protein structure viewers (was Re: [bioknoppix-discuss] (no subject))

Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga humberto at hpcf.upr.edu
Mon May 10 11:50:28 AST 2004

Stephan Aleman <aleman at linuxmail.org> wrote:

> I recently downloaded BioKnoppix and tried JEMBOSS in KDE.
>
> My Open Source Users Group is interested in demonstrating 3d protein
> structure folding in high resolution, are any of these graphical
> applications included in BioKnoppix 0.2.1?

The 0.2.1 release has rasmol and Cn3D, both described on the applications page:

http://bioknoppix.hpcf.upr.edu/applications

There are some nicer protein structure viewers, but the ones we have
seen have restrictions on redistribution, preventing us from including
them on the bioknoppix disk.

rasmol and Cn3D work for .pdb files and the structure databases at NCBI.

--
Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga
Programmer-Archaeologist