[bioknoppix-discuss] GNU R not working off the CD

Dong Fu dongfu at northwestern.edu
Fri Feb 20 01:10:29 AST 2004

Hello Humberto,

Thanks for setting up the mailing list and starting off the discussion.

We have an active and eager group of bioinformatics developers here
which can benefit much from a product like bioknoppix.

After trying to boot off the bioknoppix CD several times, I found that
the GNU R package is not working correctly for me.  The GUI quickly
flashes by without really launching, and the command line R complains
about not being able to find libblast.so.2, which I found is in one of
the directories under /usr/local.  (Sorry I do not have the CD with me
right now and I am using a Mac).   Also the symbolic links under
/usr/lib/R/etc point to some non-existing files/directories under
/etc/R, which causes "R CMD config" to be not very happy.

One thing I did not try is to launch it as root, which I will try when
I am back at the office again.

On the other hand, I was able to get the USB keydrive to work easily so
I can store data files on it instead of relying on setting up the
network part.  It takes one second to manually mount the drive.   I
guess if DHCP and NFS server are both available on the network, it will
be easy to transfer files, too.

We would really welcome the Bioknoppix for Mac project.  I checked the
available Knoppix-like product on PowerPC out there, and the stable one
seems to come from Gentoo Live CD instead.  We will be happy to help
building and testing it as we have some hardware here to use.

Thanks.

Dong

Dong Fu
System Administrator, Bioinformatics Core
Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University
Chicago, IL